Microsoft RMS handles case/unit products through a parent/child relationship.
The parent item (case or box) is ordered from the supplier while the unit item (child) is sold to the consumer.
The quickest way to create parent/child (case/unit) items is create the parent them then copy the parent to create the child.
If you'd like reorder point/restock level for child item (unit) to suggest ordering a parent (case) you can follow these steps.
- Include case/box in the description of the parent item so there is no confusion on what the item is.
Example, BX, Case or BX/12 to indicate box of 12.
- Append -C to end of item lookup code for the child item.
Example, 12345-C for child while parent item is 12345.
- Leave SRN (supplier reorder number) blank for the child item or insert DO NOT ORDER as the supplier part number. This ensures a child item is not ordered in error.
- Leave ROP/RSL at 0/0 for the parent item. Set desired ROP/RSL for the child.
- Whenever a -C item appears on a suggested PO, replace that item with the proper parent item (same ILC but without -C) before placing the order.